COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness, injury and death. Senior citizens and people with underlying medical conditions are especially vulnerable. An inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present therefore visiting such places are done at your own risk. Those more vulnerable to this disease are advised to postpone their visit until it becomes much safer to venture into public.
Facial coverings that cover both mouth and nose must be worn by all visitors over two years of age while on the property. This does not apply to those with a medical condition preventing them from doing so.
Social Distancing of at least 10ft. from zoo staff and other guests not in your party is mandatory. We’ve installed floor markers in sensitive areas to assist you with this. Our zoo affords all to remain FAR more than 10ft. from each other, making our venue safer than most in terms of social distancing. Our exhibits are also completely outdoors and spread far apart.
Visiting while feeling ill is prohibited. If you feel any symptoms of COVID19 (to include fever or cough), you should avoid all public/social interaction and will not be permitted to visit the zoo. Random temperature checks are being implemented and must be accepted by all who wish to visit.
Washing your hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds is requested. Soap and water will be made available at the zoo to do so. We have also installed hand-free faucets and paper-towel dispensers to assist in making your departure from the restrooms contact free after washing your hands.
Hand sanitizing is requested and available throughout the zoo, especially upon exiting the restrooms, touching a vending machine button or the railing along our ramps and stairs. We invite all to bring and use their own sanitizer to help conserve the zoos available inventory.
Touching of objects or others not in your group is prohibited unless absolutely necessary for safety reasons. Areas touched often for safety reasons (stair and ramp railings, door handles, vending machine buttons, etc…) will be sanitized by staff often. Signage to remind everyone of these rules are posted in MANY areas of the zoo.
All visitors will be required to agree to and sign a terms and conditions agreement upon their arrival and before being allowed to enter the zoo. Those refusing to do so will not be permitted to enter the zoo.
These guidelines are not intended to be all-inclusive as situations may present themselves that are not mentioned in these guidelines. In that event, all are expected to follow the direction of Monterey Zoo staff and management who will make final decisions and take appropriate action to ensure the safety, security and well-being of our guests, staff and animals.
Many additional precautions have also been implemented to assure your visit to be a safe and healthy one to include the installation of plexiglas shields between guests and staff, barriers that distance guests from exhibit viewing windows that are frequently touched and signage, EVERYWHERE, to remind all of the rules and restrictions throughout the zoo.
- Unsafe Behavior as defined by Monterey Zoo staff and/or management that endangers or disrupts people or animals or other guest’s ability to enjoy their visit or interferes with business operations will not be tolerated. Accessing restricted areas and/or tampering with zoo equipment, facilities or safety equipment will result in immediate removal from the zoo.
- Verbally abusive or offensive language as defined by Monterey Zoo staff and/or management as well as lude gestures directed at anyone is not permitted and will result in immediate removal from the zoo.
- Inappropriate behavior: Inappropriate, disruptive or abusive behavior including uninvited physical contact, harassment, vandalism, theft, violence or the threat of violence, possession of illegal substances/items, or any other illegal conduct is not permitted.
- Mistreatment of our exhibit animals is strictly prohibited. No foreign objects may be placed in the exhibits at any time. This includes food of ANY kind.
- Alcohol: beverages may only be consumed on the property during special events with when arrangements have been made to do so.
- Attire: Attire should be appropriate for a family environment. Clothing that exposes excessive portions of the skin or contains offensive language or graphics may be viewed as inappropriate for a family environment. Shoes with wheels may not be used on zoo property.
- Costumes: Costumes may only be worn by guests 12 years of age or younger. Costumes must be family-friendly and may not contain any weapons that resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon. Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally injure another guest, staff, volunteer or exhibit animals.
- Parental and guardian responsibility: Parents and guardians are responsible for the behavior and supervision of their children. This responsibility applies at all times, even if the minor is not in the physical presence of parents or guardians. Guests under the age of 14, including members, must be accompanied by someone age 14 or older to enter the and roam the zoo. School programs require one adult for every ten children.
- Solicitation: Solicitation, distribution and posting of literature of any kind on or at the zoo or Vision Quest Ranch property is not permitted without prior consent from the property owner.
- Photography: Photography, videotaping and recording for commercial purposes is prohibited without prior consent from the property owner.
- Resale of tickets: The resale of Monterey Zoo tickets or sale of membership cards for temporary use is prohibited.
Monterey Zoo and Vision Quest Ranch is committed to providing a safe work environment in which our employees and volunteers are treated with respect and dignity. Each individual has the right to work in a professional atmosphere which prohibits discriminatory treatment from anyone, including sexual, racial and other forms of harassment including abusive conduct. We prohibit the harassment of any employee or volunteer by a visitor, regardless of whether that harassment is targeted specifically to the employee, based on race, sex, color, creed, religion, age, national origin or ancestry. Offending visitors will be asked to leave the property immediately should such discriminatory treatment occur.
Prohibited Items on Monterey Zoo and Vision Quest Ranch Property
For the safety of guests, staff, volunteers and exhibit animals, all bags are subject to search. Refusal to bag search may result in non-admittance to the Zoo. Prohibited items are listed below.
- Firearms, ammunition and similar items.
- Weapons or items that may be used as weapons, including knives, sharp tools or other sharp instruments.
- Mace/pepper spray or other chemical weapons and similar items.
- Balls, balloons, frisbees, skateboards, skates, shoes with built-in wheels.
- Bikes, scooters, Segways and similar devices (unless used as an ADA mobility device).
- Alcoholic beverages.
- Animals, except for service animals as defined in the ADA being boarded at the zoo’s boarding facility.
- Spray paint, permanent markers.
- Food or drink not purchased on site.
Failure to Act in Accordance
Failure to act in accordance with Guest Conduct Policies may result in:
- Intervention by Security, Management staff, or law enforcement.
- Confiscation of illegal/prohibited items, which may be turned over to law enforcement authorities.
- Request from Security or Management staff to leave Zoo property.
- Revocation or suspension of Membership privileges, if applicable.
Monterey Zoo and Vision Quest Ranch appreciate your support and thank you for your cooperation.
While providing exemplary animal care, Monterey Zoological Society is dedicated to providing an entertaining yet educational experience which fosters public awareness and respect for all wildlife.